Vierbicher is a team of professional engineers, planners, community development specialists, land surveyors, and GIS specialists who provide comprehensive solutions for an array of project types in the Upper Midwest. We are dedicated to providing our clients with quality services, skilled staff and the loyalty and integrity we believe are necessary to developing successful projects. Our goal is to build relationships of trust and understanding. It is that trust that promotes cooperation, teamwork and lasting client relationships.
Vierbicher has an opening in our Madison or Milwaukee office location for a Municipal Services Planner. The Municipal Services Planner conducts research and prepares information related to planning. This position also performs various administrative and professional planning duties to include, reviewing of site plans, reviewing minor subdivision plats, administering development-related ordinances and regulations, reviewing plans, assisting, and directing developers, and approving zoning related permits, and performing additional tasks as assigned.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide high-quality planning to public and private sector clients to impress clients and build the Vierbicher reputation
- Administer and enforce local land use ordinances, including but not limited to zoning, subdividing, and sign codes
- Assist residents and process applications for land divisions: certified survey maps and subdivision plats, site plans, zoning map amendments (rezones), conditional use permits, variances, and sign permits to ensure conformity with the ordinance
- Act as the primary staff person for inspection and code enforcement of the City Zoning ordinances
- Assist with amendments to municipal land regulation ordinances, development application forms, and related documents as needed
- Prepare staff reports for meetings with municipal Plan Commissions, Zoning Boards of Appeals, Town or Village Boards, and Common Councils
- Attend occasional evening meetings for Plan Commissions and municipal legislative bodies, including ancillary duties associated with meeting preparation
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the philosophies, principles, practices, and techniques of municipal planning
- Work closely with engineers, surveyors, landscape architects on project management and projects. Be an integral part of a multifunctional team and work on cross-technical projects.
- Actively build your professional network and seek opportunities to publicly share your thought leadership at conferences and events. We want you to build your career and reputation by demonstrating the work being done by Vierbicher
- Enhance Vierbicher’s planning and community development services through research and data collection, preparation of maps, graphs, charts and other graphics, and present information to clients in a clear and compelling way
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A working knowledge of zoning and planning principles and land use tools, municipal land use codes, state statutes and regulations, and how zoning ordinance decisions relate to adopted comprehensive plans
- Must possess working knowledge of local government structures and public meeting procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to present facts clearly and concisely
- Ability to review and interrupt plan and specifications for accuracy, feasibility and compliance with zoning and land division regulations
- The ability to problem solve and gather relevant information to solve less well-defined planning problems
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details
- Excellent time management skills with the proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently to deliver high-quality engagements to clients
- Ability to work with a team but also independently
Education and Experience:
- Four years of planning and municipal government experience is required
- Experience in planning specialization such as municipal planning, zoning administration, tax increment financing, and economic development planning, urban design, or transportation planning
Vierbicher offers competitive compensation, health insurance and paid time off, along with professional training and educational opportunities.
Vierbicher Associates, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.